Wednesday, November 9, 2011

FLVS, etc

1. I would let my child take a class from FLVS, but only for certain subjects, like ones that I didn't consider that important to their education, like PE or Health. I wouldn't want them to take important classes online because I don't think they would learn as much. I actually took a class from FLVS in high school. I took PE online, which is a pretty ridiculous concept. I had to do certain exercises and get my parents to sign off on it. Honestly, I didn't always do my exercises and my parents signed off on it anyway. I think it was okay that my parents did this because I was a pretty active kid (I was on the crew team at the time) and I didn't really need to learn about exercise. But I know from experience how easy it is to get through those online classes without actually learning anything, or by learning the bare minimum.

2. I would only let my child go full-time if they were very sick, so sick that they would have to be out of school for several months.

Students and copyright

I would teach my students the basics of copyright, like that, as the article says, a work is copyrighted as soon as it comes into existence. The owner doesn't need to apply for a copyright. I will explain to them why people need copyrights, like that, as the article says, they need an incentive to create something, which could be risky and might not pay-off. If people don't get paid from their work, they have no reason to do it. I would then tell them about fair use, which allows use for more academic things, like research and criticism.
I would just try to lay out all this information as clearly as possible, and in the most straightforward, "layman's" terms. I would also go over some examples. For instance, I could say to the class "What if I wanted to take this song and upload it to Youtube without paying the owner?" or "What if I wanted to write a critique of this song?" I would ask the students to come up with their own examples, too. Then, throughout the class, I would make sure the students were violating copyright laws in their projects, and if they did, I would go over the rules with them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment